larger text smaller
temple

wat phra kaeo
 Tel: (02) 623-5500 ext. 3100, (02) 224-3273
 This inner-city reverie landmark contains several buildings with highly detailed architectural features. Wat Phra Kaeo within the same compound, is a treasure house of Thai arts, and houses the Emerald Buddha, the most revered Buddha image in Thailand.
To help tourists enjoy their tour of the Grand Palace, a Personal Audio Guide can be rented at 100 Baht for two hours. Discs are available in seven languages-English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Japanese and Mandarin.
 Open daily from 8.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.
 From July 1,2008 the admission fee will be Baht 300 and including admission to visit "the exhibition of Art of Kingdom" at Anantasamakom Throne Hall and from Jan 1,2009 the admission fee will be Baht 350.

More details...


wat mahathat
 Tel: (02) 222-6011, 623-5613, 623-6326
 This old temple was built in the reign of King Rama I. It is located on Na Phrathat Road near Thammasat University. The temple houses Mahachulalongkorn Buddhist University, one of the two highest seats of Buddhist learning in Thailand and also offers meditation classes for foreigners.
bangkok templesOpen daily from 7.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
bangkok temples
Admission : Free


wat pho
 Tel: (02) 222-1969
 Thai Massage School : (02) 221-3686
 This large and extensive temple neighbors the Grand Palace enclave on Thai Wang Road and contains a gigantic gold plated Reclining Buddha some 46 meters long and 15 meters high with inlaid mother of pearl soles. The temple is also regarded as the first center of public education and is sometimes called Thailand's first university.
 Open to the public daily from 08.30 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.
 Admission fee is 50 Baht.



wat arun
 Tel: (02) 465-5640
 This famous Chao Phraya riverbank landmark diagonally opposite the Grand Palace, is best known for a porcelain encrusted 79 meter central pagoda (phra prang) which sparkles in the sun. The temple can be reached either by Arun Amarin Road or by boat from Tha Tien Pier near Wat Pho. More details...

 Open daily from 07.30 a.m. to 05.30 p.m.
 Admission fee is 20 Baht.


Wat Ratchabophit
 Tel : (02) 221-0904, 222-3930
 The temple is located on Fuang Nakhon Road near Wat Pho. Built by King Rama V in 1869, it was in keeping with tradition that each monarch constructed a temple to mark his reign. The temple is a mixture of local and western styles, showing an awakening interest in new ideas and a desire to experiment with them. The exterior of the chapel is in the That style, but the interior is decorated in the European style.
 Open daily from 08.00 a.m. to 05.00 p.m.
 Admission fee : Free


Giant Swing
 Tel : (02) 224-9845
 Located on Bamrung Muang Road, this temple is noted for its superb 19th century murals in the main chapel. The distinctive Giant Swing outside the temple was once used in Brahmanic ceremonies long since discontinued. Nearby shops stock a very comprehensive range of Buddhist religious supplies.
 Open daily from 08.00 a.m. to 09.00 p.m.
 Admission fee is 20 Baht.


Wat Thepthidaram
 Tel : (02) 222-5067
 Located on Mahachai Road, the temple was built in the reign of King Rama III with a mixture of Chinese architectural styles. Sunthon Phu, one of Thailand's greatest poets, had resided in this temple during his monk hood from 1840-1842. His residence is now open to the public.
 Open daily from 08.00 a.m. to 05.00 p.m.
 Admission fee : Free


Wat Ratchanatdaram
 Tel : (02) 224-8807, 225-5749
 Located on Mahachai Road, the temple was built in the reign of King Rama III in 1846. Loha Prasat, the temple's main attraction, standing 36 meters high with 37 surrounding spires, is the only one of its kind left in the world. Next to the temple is the area for welcoming an important foreign guest and a memorial, statue of King Rama III.
 Open daily from 08.00 a.m. to 05.00 p.m.
 Admission fee : Free


Wat Indravihan
 Tel : (02) 628-5550-2
 Located in the Bang Khun Phrom area on Wisutkasat Road, this temple is well known for a huge standing Buddha image called Luang Pho To. The image, built in the reign of King Rama IV, is 32 meters tall and 11 meters wide. The topknot of the Buddha image contains a relic of Lord Buddha brought from Sri Lanka.
 Open daily from 08.30 a.m. to 08.00 p.m.
 Admission fee : Free


Wat Bowon Niwet
 Tel : (02) 281-2831-3
 This temple is located on Phra Sumen Road in the Bang Lamphu area. Built in 1829, it is the shrine-hall of Phra Phutthachinnasi, a very beautiful Buddha image which was molded in about 1357. This is one of the most important temples of Bangkok, whose one-time chief abbot was King Rama IV before he ascended the throne. King Rama IV and King Rama VII, as well as His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej had resided here during their monkshood.
 Open daily from 08.00 a.m. to 05.00 p.m.
 Admission fee : Free


Wat Benchamabophit
 Tel: (02) 281-2501, 628-7947
 Located on Si Ayutthaya Road, near Chitralada Palace, this unique marble temple was constructed during the reign of King Rama V. It employs European ecclesiastic details, such as stained glass windows, and contains a superb cloister collection of bronze Buddha images.
 Open daily from 06.00 a.m. to 06.00 p.m.
 Admission fee : 20 Bath


Wat Saket
 Tel: (02) 621-0576
 Wat Saket's major feature is the Golden Mount, dating from the 1800s, which overlooks Ratchadamnoen Avenue. The golden chedi houses relics of Lord Buddha and offers a panoramic view of historic Bangkok.
 Open daily from 07.30 a.m. to 05.30 p.m.
 Admission to Wat Saket is free except for the final approach to the Golden Mountain summit which costs 10 Baht.

More details...


wattrimit
 Tel: (02) 225-9775
 Located at the end of Chinatown's Yaowarat Road near Hualamphong Railway Station, this temple houses an ancient solid gold seated Buddha image of the Sukhothai Period, three meters in height and weighing five and a half tons.
 Open daily from 08.00 a.m. to 05.00 p.m.
 Admission fee : 20 Bath
Hotels in Yaowarat area


wattrimit
 Tel: (02) 225-1595
 located at the foot of the Rama I Memorial Bridge on the Bangkok side. Built in the late Ayutthaya period by a Chinese merchant, it is otherwise known as Wat Liap and is one of the 3 principal temples of the capital which include Wat Ratchaburana, Wat Ratchapradit and Wat Mahathat. It had been regularly restored since the reign of King Rama I through to the reign of King Rama VII, except in the sixth reign. Some of the temples principal buildings, especially Phra Ubosot the ordination hall which houses mural paintings by Khrua In Khong, were badly damaged by bombing during World War II. The buildings were later restored to their good condition as they appear today.
 Open daily from 06.00 a.m. to 06.00 p.m.
 Admission fee : Free


wattrimit
 Tel: (02) 222-208
 Situated to the north of Saran Rom Park, the temple is relatively small and covers a total area of approximately 2 rai. It was built in the reign of King Rama IV who intended it to be a temple in the Dhammayutika Sect as well as to be one of the 3 major temples as required by an old tradition to be situated within the capital. The place was originally a royal coffee plantation in the reign of King Rama III. With his personal donation, King Rama IV bought the plantation and had a small temple constructed there, naming it Wat Ratchapradit Sathitthammayutikaram. Later, he had the name changed to Wat Ratchapradit Sathitmahasimaram. A place of interest in this temple is Phra Wihan Luang - the royal image hall - which houses mural paintings depicting The Royal Ceremonies over 12 Months and legend of the solar eclipse phenomenon.
 Open daily from 08.00 a.m. to 06.00 p.m.
 Admission fee : Free